Wednesday, August 19, 2009

My Conversion Story

About a month ago my husband said that I should maybe write down how I became a member of the church. I have been thinking about it for weeks now...but kept putting it off for one reason or another. The truth is that I really did not want to hash out the feelings and memories of who I was when I found faith. In reality I knew that Heavenly Father was with me all along but I couldn't reach him. Over my life I have made so many life changing decisions; some good and some bad and among one of them was to become LDS.

I have heard about "Mormons" a lot in high school. They were the kids I really didn't get. Growing up I struggled to believe that there was even a God. For years I lived in darkness. I actually did not become curious until I started working for the Lindbloms. The spirit's presences was so strong among them that I could even feel it. It wasn't until about a year and a half after I worked there that I made one big life changing decision and that was to be a single mother. During this period I felt lost and confused. I did not know where I belonged and why I was even here. I wanted something better for me and my son. I no longer wanted to feel this emptiness inside. I was doing things that I should not have been; I was going down the wrong path and it was starting to show.

One of the Lindbloms invited me to church one day, to be honest I don't know why he did. I like to believe God sent him to me, he was to help me with my struggle. I am sure when he asked me he was thinking I would probably say no...but something told me to just go. I remember panicking.....not wanting to tell my family I was going to attend Church that Sunday. I was scared of them judging me and questioning why I was going to go. But most of all questioning the fact that I was ready to let God into my life.

Stepping into those doors I immediately I knew this was where I belonged. It felt like home. I stayed for all 3 hours. For the first time in a long time I felt this peace that I have never knew existed. Right away I wanted to start taking lessons from the missionaries. The very first lesson I had was all I needed to know that this was the true church, that God has a spacial plan for us. That God had a special plan for me.

The first night the missionaries handed me the Book of Mormon I could not let it go. Never have felt so strongly about God. For the next 6 weeks I continued taking the lessons. My family was very supportive of my decision. I did get some negative response from some. Well more like from someone...he thought I was crazy, even laughed at me for believe what he so called "nonsense" but not even his reticule could stop what I felt. In my heart I knew that what I was doing was right, and nothing could change my mind.

I was baptized April 26 2008.

Since I have been baptized I have had so many wonderful blessings! It has made me want to be a better mother and person.

So this is my conversion story...happy to say it ends in a happily ever after!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

This is so good Jessica!! You are an amazing daughter of God!

PS. We miss you guys, can you come home so I can see the new Murro already?

The Clarks said...

Jessica, thank you for sharing your story. It is so inspiring to many. Hope you guys are still doing well in San Diego!

Ashley and Cody said...

I loved hearing your conversion story. You are such a great girl and I'm glad you found Zach to make things a little easier. I too feel so blessed to have the gospel and I can't imagine life without it. It gives everything so much more purpose. You really are amazing for being so courageous. I'm excited to see Brody!! He looks so adorable.

Greg & Colby Lindblom Family said...

Jessica I'm so glad you shared that. I'm crying right now reading it... You are such a sweet girl and I'm so glad you are so happy. Your little family is so darling and we love you guys tons.

Hilarie said...

Yes, thank you for sharing. The gospel really is amazing. Im so glad you accepted it. I know, as you do, that your life with the geospel just makes more sense. It doesn't make it perfect but even through the struggles you have that light at the end of the tunnel. I am so glad we get to spend the next couple months together. You are just a sweet fun person to be around. And Ryan loves having Kyren for a friend:>

Monica S said...

Thanks so much for sharing that it was great to read. The gospel is truly a light house for me. I don't know what I would do without it. Love you guys and hope to be seeing you soon.

The Valentine's said...

Awesome story! Life is just so much better and happier this way. I'd love to make some vinyl for you. We'll have to play when you guys get home. Elliott's so funny...he tells me all the time, "I really like Zaak. He's an awesome guy."

VALOR Pest control

VALOR Pest control
PLEASE POST ABOUT OUR NEW COMPANY ON YOUR BLOG!